PSG advance in tense finish to Champions League group

December 14, 2023
PSG’s Warren Zaire-Emery (right) celebrates with Lee Kang-in after scoring their first goal during the Champions League Group F football against Borussia Dortmund at the Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund, Germany, yesterday. The match drew 1-1.
PSG’s Warren Zaire-Emery (right) celebrates with Lee Kang-in after scoring their first goal during the Champions League Group F football against Borussia Dortmund at the Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund, Germany, yesterday. The match drew 1-1.

GENEVA, Switzerland (AP):

Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Kylian Mbappe were left holding a ticket to the Champions League knockout round yesterday after a tense finish to the tightest group saw Newcastle let their chance slip.

Porto also earned their place in the round-of-16 draw on Monday with a 5-3 victory over Shakhtar Donetsk, which needed to win to advance.

PSG's 1-1 draw at Group F winners Borussia Dortmund - earned by 17-year-old Warren Zaire-Emery's 56th-minute leveller - was enough to secure second place because Newcastle lost 2-1 at home to AC Milan.

"We are still alive," said PSG coach Luis Enrique, whose unseeded team can now be drawn to face Manchester City, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. "No team will hope to play us in the next round."

Newcastle were in the box seat kicking off the second half with a one-goal lead but ended in last place without even the consolation prize of entering the second-tier Europa League as a third-place finisher.

That reward flipped to Milan when they took the lead in the 84th as substitute Samuel Chukwueze raced clear to score one minute after coming on from the bench. Milan had levelled in the 59th on United States of America's playmaker Christian Pulisic's goal.

Newcastle joined Manchester United in losing at home - United on Tuesday - to finish bottom of a group and give England its weakest round-of-16 challenge for 11 years: just defending champion Man City and Arsenal are in the draw on Monday.

"We are devastated not to go through," Newcastle manager Eddie Howe said.

The 16-team line-up was completed by Porto, who finished runners-up in Group H to Barcelona, though the Spanish champions lost 3-2 at Royal Antwerp.

Atletico Madrid's 2-0 win over Lazio ensured they would finish top of Group E and be seeded in Monday's draw. Lazio had already advanced before the final round of games. Last-place Celtic got a stoppage-time goal to beat Feyenoord 2-1.

Man City sent out a team of few regular starters - including former ball boy Micah Hamilton, who scored on his debut - to win 3-2 at Red Star Belgrade and ensure the defending champion completed a six-win programme atop Group G.

In the other group game that did not affect the final standings, Leipzig beat Young Boys 2-1.